8.18.2009

Web 2.0 - an exciting new world

This coming fall, I'll be teaching our program's capstone class. Over the past couple years, other professors have taught this class by requiring students to design and build an AJAX application, connecting to various APIs, to create clever mashups. Following this theme, I will be requiring students to do the same. Only one little problem. Although I'm well versed in web programming, I shifted to academia before I had a chance to learn AJAX. Its about time I got caught up. So I'm going to have to teach myself a thing or two about this new technology in the next 3 weeks. I already understand the basics of how it works and have bought and browsed through Professional Ajax, 2nd Edition (Programmer to Programmer) published by Wrox. It doesn't look like I'll have much trouble getting a simple AJAX program created.

Of the technologies I would like to understand at the intermediate level this semester:
AJAX
JSON
RSS syndication and reading
Google maps API

Some other technologies that I may learn in the coming year:
Google Base Data API
REST vs. SOAP
Silverlight/ FLEX/ Flash/ JavaFX
Facebook API
Wiki
Google adWords/ Analytics

All kinds of exciting things are appearing in the world of web technologies. Hopefully, I will be able to keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment