After reading about how to integrate GTD with Outlook and OneNote, I have optimized my technology solution as much as I care to for now and want to focus on improving my habits. So here are the habits I'm currently focusing on and specific practices I've identified to help me with them.
- Adding to my inbox. Practice - I need to keep OneNote open all the time to help me improve my useage of it. I may also need to start creating items in my OneNote inbox from emails. I'm still struggling with capturing everything here and need to focus more on developing habits for centrally grabbing all thoughts.
- Clearing my inbox. Practice - My email inbox I will clear 2-3 times a day. My OneNote inbox will be cleared once a day.
- Ensure my week's goals move me toward my month and year goals. Practice - created pages in OneNote for monthly and yearly goals. Created subpages under month goals for each new week.
- Ensure that I am making progress on each project. Practice - where I am not waiting for somebody, verify that I have a next action item in the weekly goals
There are also some habits that I know I will eventually need to improve, but they are lower priority to the ones above. Once the above habits are working and ingrained in my system, I will work on the following issues:
- How often should I review "Someday/Maybe" items?
- How can I use eletronic references most effectively?
- How can I best plan projects within this framework?