5.10.2010

My typical writing process

The following set of posts are my edited notes from the Writing Across the Curriculum workshop I recently completed.


My typical wring process for research articles: 
I generally start with a research proposal.  In this proposal, I start with various research questions that have a common theme, perform a literature review of the area, develop hypotheses, design the method for answering hypotheses, and identify analysis to be used.  I generally seek some feedback from other academics at various points in this process, either one-on-one or at conferences.

Once I am satisfied with the proposal, I conduct the research and analysis.  With the results, I complete the paper, by adding discussion and conclusion.  Then its back to editing, editing, and more editing.  Lastly, I start the publishing process.

According to WAC, the stages of writing development:
Prewriting (brainstorming, planning, outlining, lists, reading and reviewing other successful approaches to writing in a genre)
Drafting - Free writing, writing sections/chunks, fill in an outline, audience
Revising – restructuring arguments, adding/deleting sections, rethinking, and rewriting
Proofreading – spelling and grammar checks, reading carefully, having someone else read it
Publishing – sharing the work with an audience
Reflecting – helps writers to analyze their own writing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment