1.09.2011

The Child's Imagination

As I was throwing away two old computers, my son asked what they were and I told him.  He wanted to see inside, so I opened it up and started explaining all the parts.  What he saw: "It looks like the Earth" pointing to the mother board.  "And look, here's a park and this dot is our house... this is my school... this is Tara's school".  So I opened up the other computer and he found Grandma and Grandpa's house.  30 minutes later, he and his sister were still studying the compute boards. 

Its amazing what the mind of a 4 and 5 year old see.  I see a hard drive, memory, capacitors, circuits, and mother board.  My kids see a cornucopia of adventures in a new world.  Truly fascinating!  Who knew I would still get one last use out of those old machines?

2 comments:

  1. My husband gives my kids bits of wiring and computers that they just play and play and play with. My son as a pair of wire strippers and used to spend lots of time just stripping old wires for fun.

    Kids are so interested in so many aspects of the world--it's an endless source of fascination for me to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, Jenn. I may have to try the wire strippers.

    ReplyDelete